I haven't done a "Things that make you go Hmmm..." post in a long time and am thinking of changing that little "series" in 2014 to be titled "Noteworthy". The content might make you go "Hmmm..." or maybe not. So I'm trying it out today. Here goes:
1) Our Emily has a blog. You long-time readers might remember me pointing you to her blog a while ago, but now that she's married, a homeowner and renovator, AND expecting her first child, her blog has changed platforms to mirror her current life, of course, and she is sharing all about their home renovation ... and couple of other things occasionally. You can find her at This Ryan Life.
2) I love DesignMom's "Living with Kids" series. Recently, she had the Wolf family spotlighted and this sweet paragraph reminded me of our own bedtime routines when the kids were young... and of our own dreams for them: "Our lives are still kind of crazy and without a great schedule, but one thing we do nearly every night is to tuck James into bed, holding him, praying truth and love over him, instilling gratitude for his family, his life, and the gift of another day. Those moments are precious – even if they are interrupted by a Spiderman flying thru the air or a little jumping on the bed – and I believe the intention and consistency of those nightly moments have and will create a deep change in his heart, one that he will someday give to his family."
3) The years when Thanksgiving is late in the month of November, I also find myself feeling more rushed to get the Christmas decorations out. Our tree has been up since last Friday, lit since Saturday, and the boxes of ornaments are still sitting in the family room floor! "Little by little" is what I keep telling myself. Once it gets done, I'll take you on a House Tour. Deal?
4) For the first time in <maybe ever>, we've booked a little overnighter for the Christmas holidays ... for the whole family, including the newlyweds. I'm so excited!! And it's out of the country! And we'll get there by boat! We're going to Victoria, BC, Canada on the Clipper! You can expect a deluge of photos when we get back. :)
5) Another first for this year ... I'm making Mama's Fruitcake. I know many people aren't fans of fruitcakes and it is largely because of all those strangely colored "fruits" in them. However, Mama's Fruitcake is definitely noteworthy. It's like a spice cake filled with dried fruits of all kinds —no artificially colored ones allowed!— and tons of pecans, walnuts, and almonds. I'll share the recipe with you next week.
So there ya go ... Five Noteworthy Things for now. :)